Wednesday, February 22, 2012

It Ain't Children's Songs Any Longer!

I am learning so much about this new business; clothing and designers is just a little part of my start up.  I’ve made a business plan, I’ve figured out how many items I need to sell a day to break even, learned about CAM charges vs. NNN charges, square footage and signage; I can go on and on.  I take it all in stride. Steve is my coach and he is very good at what he does.  Now he tells me I have to get involved with Social Media: yikes!  

I have to tell you, I’ve avoided learning all the intricacies of the computer world.  As a Kindergarten teacher, I was always last to receive the latest technology because the older kids needed it more.  Why does a 5 year old need to be taught with a doc camera (the Elmo) and a SMART board?  Does a Kindergartner really need to do a power point?  Where are the blocks, puppets and crayons going?  So, philosophically I allowed myself to stay in the dark!

But if I want to get ahead I must join the others in the social computer world!   I have been very happy with my email and solitaire!  But now it’s Facebook and Linked In, will you be my friend?  It’s twitter and tweet (wasn’t that in a Mary Poppins song?)

Once a week my family comes over and we have a lovely dinner.   We update each other, we tell stories to our grandson; it’s been a delight over the years.  But now with my new business I’ve created a monster.   We talk domain and URL.  Do I have the right GB and RAM (which has nothing to do with Little Bo Peep) for my software?  My eyes glaze over; it was fun not knowing what I didn’t know.  Now I wake up with computer songs going through my head.  Remember, I know about 3,000 children’s songs.  They don’t go away, the words just change!  

So, with the help from my daughter and husband you will see me reaching out to join the other millions in the Social Media World (slowly).  Bye for now.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes...I have a headache thinking about all the new lingo you have to learn. I wouldn't know where to start. I'd have to eat a lot of chocolate and hope for the best. Best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete